DESIGN OF EXTERIOR LIVING SPACES
A creative, multidisciplinary and environmentaly responsible design approach.View my projects
He has a Bachelor in Landscape Architecture from the University of Montreal and a Diploma in Landscape Design from Fanshawe College and is a full member of the Association des architectes paysagistes du Québec (AAPQ) and the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA).
Landscape architectural projects designed by Denis Massie, AAPQ / OALA respects the latest sustainable development and eco-responsible principals while featuring aesthetic and functional designs. Aesthetic considerations include, amongst others, the degree of harmony between the landscape and built forms, site antecedent and history, the visual quality of a landscape, the integration of public art where appropriate.
Functional factors such as the efficient layout of a given space, site grading and drainage, universal accessibility, pedestrian and bicycle circulation, user safety, amongst others, are elements that are carefully assessed in the preparation of a landscape plan.
Denis Massie succeeded through the years to have repeated clients by offering efficient and highly professional services based on a creative and multidisciplinary design approach.
We also offer residential design services.
As a professional landscape architectural consultant in landscape architecture and design, Denis Massie, AAPQ / OALA participate in multi-disciplinary project teams or as project manager in supplying the following services:
Research and site analysis
Various studies, site investigations and analysis to determine design opportunities in the context of development or conservation projects, including:
- research and resource assessments, identification of problems and issues, gathering data and drawing conclusions,
- feasibility studies for landscape development projects,
- visual impact and site analysis studies,
- preparation of related recommendations regarding the landscape,
- assessment reports and cost estimates,
Conceptualization and design
The undertaking of concept designs including design alternatives and the elaboration of final landscape development concept plans illustrated by means of sketches, schematic diagrams and perspective drawings, including:
- statement of planning principles and design criterions,
- development of improvement or rehabilitation programs (user needs and equipment),
- quantitative estimates,
- overall site development masterplans,
- detailed designs and preliminary construction details,
- scaled models and presentation drawings.
Professional services consisting in the preparation of computer aided working drawings and specifications for construction purposes, including the following documents:
- layout, site drainage and grading plans,
- planting plans including detailed plant list,
- landscape development construction details and contract documents,
- technical specifications for construction purposes,
- detailed cost estimates of landscape development works.
Construction supervision and project management
To ensure a high degree of continuity between the design process, working drawings and the construction stage, our services include:
- review and analysis of tender submissions,
- site supervision and/or complete project construction management,
- site inspection reports as well as approval of materials and quality of work performed, provision of technical assistance, preparation of payment certificates
- substantial and final site inspections,
- preparation of maintenance manuals and after-construction follow-ups.
Spectrum of projects
The scale of the projects undertaken varies from small urban spaces to a network of integrated open public and private lands located in either remote natural environments, rural or urban areas. These projects pertain to various categories, ranging from resource conservation, sustainable development, restoration, rehabilitation and creation of new landscapes.
Based on the findings of a thorough analysis of the environment, user needs and resulting potentials and constraints of a given site, various scenarios of interventions, development plans and design alternatives are formulated for projects in the following categories:
Private residences and garden designs
- conceptualization of integrated landscape developments for private residences and cottages,
- design of private grounds and personalized gardens,
- landscape developments of distinct private residential properties including front and backyards, swimming pools, water features, garden sculptures, decks, rain gardens, low impact ecological design works and detailed planting plans, etc.
- landscape development of institutional, commercial and industrial sites,
revitalization of urban streets and commercial zones,
design and development of public spaces, green space networks and pedestrian areas,
design of integrated sculptural landscapes and environmental art pieces,
landscape improvements to governmental buildings and grounds.
Parks and Recreation
- planning and design of recreational pathways and open space networks,
- landscape developments of recreational areas and sport fields including pocket-parks, neighbourhood and municipal parks, and also school yards,
- planning and design of tourist areas including campgrounds, day-camps, cross-country ski and nature interpretation areas and various other types of open green spaces,
- conservation and/or development of natural environments,
- re-naturalization and slope stabilization of waterways,
- restoration and/or rehabilitation of parks and public spaces.
Community and High Density Housing
- elaboration of landscape development plans for multiple housing projects including spatial analysis and design of recreational and social areas,
- pedestrian and bicycle circulation,
- site drainage and grading, plantings, structural elements, buffer walls, privacy fences, sound walls, community gardens, etc.
Public art – environmental art
- studies pertaining to the integration of art to nearby architecture and landscape,
- design and conceptualization of environmental art compositions incorporating the landscape,
- preparation of design models including the management of environmental art projects and related operations.